GPA & Admissions

What university grades are required?
This varies from year to year, however an A- average over your last 20 half-courses is generally competitive. See our admission statistics table for full details.

How is GPA calculated?
We will consider your last 20 half-courses completed by December 31 of the application year, starting with the Fall session of your current academic year and working backwards. Due to the discrepancy in grade reporting across universities, in order to capture 20 half-courses, the GPA must be calculated based on yearly versus term marks. Thus, where grades must be extracted from a year to achieve the equivalent of 20 half courses, the average of that entire year (including both the fall and winter terms) will be used. All calculations are based on the Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table provided by ORPAS.

I am currently in my 4th year, and by December 31 I will have completed 15 half courses throughout my 3rd and 4th years. How will you decide which courses to use from my 2nd year?
We will count the 15 half courses from 3rd year and the fall term of 4th year, plus we will take the average from your entire second year (fall and winter terms) and use that average for the five half outstanding courses.  

For example, if you have a 3.54 average in second year overall, and we need 5 half credits from your second year, it’s like you received a 3.54 in 5 half courses. Note that this example can be applied to any academic year – if you took a fifth year, then the above example is exactly the same, except we would be taking the average from your 3rd year instead of your 2nd year.


Will summer or distance education courses be counted in GPA?
Yes, as long as they are at the university level.

Will my summer courses be counted separately or as part of my fall/winter average?
If you took eight courses or more in the preceding fall/winter terms, summer courses are counted as their own average.

If you took 7 courses or fewer in the preceding fall/winter terms, your summer courses are combined with your preceding fall/winter courses for one total average. For example, if you took 7 courses in your second year, and then 1 course the following summer, the 7 courses in second year and the 1 course in the summer would be added together for one weighted average.

Is the GPA average from my transcript the same as the ORPAS GPA?
Not necessarily. When calculating GPA, always use the Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table provided by ORPAS. Each grade counted within the calculation should be converted to a number on the 4.0 scale, and the average should be taken from those translated figures.

I’m in my 4th year and am applying for PT this year. Will my fall marks be counted within my GPA?
Yes. We count all courses completed by December 31 of the application year. For example, for the 2017 -18 cycle, we will count courses completed by December 31, 2016.

How will you receive my Fall marks of my 4th year?
If you are from an Ontario university, you should be using the Electronic Transcript Request form that is built into the ORPAS application. You will be asked if you have graduated or if you are currently in school. Be sure to check the “currently in school” option. This will ensure that your transcript is sent to ORPAS after your Fall marks are in the system. If you are from a university outside of Ontario, you have until late January to send a final transcript directly to ORPAS. Check our important dates page for exact deadlines.

Can I check the GPA ORPAS has calculated on my behalf?
After receiving the application and all of the official transcripts, ORPAS will calculate a sub-GPA. You can check your Verification Report (VR) by logging into your ORPAS application. This report is available once your academic record has been reviewed by ORPAS, which will occur in February. The VR will present an up-to-date summary of all information contained in your application, including what transcripts and Confidential Assessment Forms have been received. It will also include the sub-GPA and a list of all courses/grades used in the calculation. ORPAS will send you an email once this report is available to view. It is your responsibility to check this report and contact ORPAS (typically by March 1 of the year you are applying) if there are any discrepancies. If you have any change requests after viewing this report, you can make the request by logging into the Secure Applicant Messaging Tool (which is accessed through the ORPAS online application). Please keep in mind that if you completed graduate level courses or were educated outside of North America, the PT Department will perform a manual GPA calculation.

I’m a graduate student. How will my be application considered?
Graduate applications are generally considered in the exact same manner as undergraduate applicants. The major difference is that the department must manually calculate all graduate level coursework to update your GPA ranking. While you should include your graduate program in the ORPAS application and send a graduate transcript to ORPAS, ORPAS does not calculate grades for graduate programs.

Is there a specific undergraduate program that is most suitable for admission to the PT program?
. Applicants with a degree in almost any discipline are encouraged to apply. All programs are treated equally in the evaluation process.

Is there a program that will best prepare me for PT?
We find that most of our students entering our program have a science background of some kind. Specifically we receive many applications from Kinesiology, Biology, and Medical Science students.

What does “in almost any discipline” mean?
The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) mandates that all applicants must have a degree with at least 75% liberal arts and science content. Generally, most degree level programs meet this requirement. However, certain programs such as degrees in the fine arts (e.g. dance, art, music, etc.) with practical components (e.g. studio, rehearsal, practice etc.) or theological degrees may not meet the 75% requirement. History courses in these subjects would normally be counted. If you are interested in applying to PT and you have this type of degree, we recommend that you take extra senior level (3rd and 4th year) liberal arts and science courses to demonstrate your readiness and fit for our program. There are exceptions so please consult with if you are unsure.

Do I have to carry a full-course load every year to be eligible to apply?

How are pass/fail or activity courses treated?
Pass/fail courses or activity courses (e.g. Yoga, badminton, etc.) are not counted toward your GPA.

Can I email you my transcript for you to check how competitive my application is?
No. Due to the number of applications we receive and the resources we have, it is not possible to pre-screen applications. Applications (including transcripts) are only reviewed when we receive an official application through ORPAS. However, you can check the competitiveness of your application yourself by calculating your GPA. Use the Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table provided by ORPAS. Each grade counted within the calculation should be converted to a number on the 4.0 scale, and the average should be taken from those translated figures.

Will the Physiotherapy Assistant diploma I completed at a College be counted within my GPA?
No. We do not count any college level diploma courses. However the content learned throughout certain college programs may provide you with some foundation knowledge relevant to our program.

I completed a College level Bachelor degree program. Can I apply to PT?
Yes. We will consider these degrees only if the degree is completed in full (or will be completed in full by our June 30 deadline) and provides appropriate scholarly preparation. A strong foundation in arts and science coursework is normally seen as a good indicator of appropriate preparation. However, applicants should keep in mind that they will be competing against students with university level bachelor degrees.

I completed a three year Bachelor degree program. Can I apply to PT?
Yes. Applicants should keep in mind that they will be competing against students with four year university level bachelor degrees.

I completed a Consecutive Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree after I finished my initial Bachelor degree. Will these marks count towards my GPA?
No, we do not count Consecutive Bachelor of Education (BEd) undergraduate degree courses.

I’m graduating from my undergraduate program in the fall, after your June 30 deadline. Can I still apply?
No. Applicants must be able to forward a final transcript showing the degree has been conferred by June 30, prior to the September start date. Applicants not able to meet this requirement are advised to apply in the following year.

I need to complete some prerequisite courses in the summer, after June 30 deadline. Can I still apply?
No. Applicants must be able to forward a final transcript showing the completion of all prerequisite courses by June 30, prior to the September start date. Applicants not able to meet this requirement are advised to apply in the following year.

I didn’t do so well in a course, so I took it again and earned a better mark. Will you take the higher mark?
It depends. If a course is repeated, and both the original course and the repeated course are within the last 20 half courses, then the grades from both courses will be included in the GPA calculation. If you did poorly in a course in first year and then took it again in fourth year, then only the fourth year mark would count towards your GPA.

What kind of students are you looking for?
We look for a wide range of well-rounded students from a variety of backgrounds and life experiences. Individuals who are self-confident, strong leaders, and who have strong problem-solving abilities will flourish in this program and will find this program a good fit. We accept applications from individuals with a disability or of aboriginal descent as well as those who hold graduate degrees.

Do I need to take the MCAT or GRE?

Are international students (e.g. students in Canada with a study visa) eligible for your program?
No. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents at the time of application. This means that the last day you are able to update your status is the application deadline.

I should get my permanent residency by June, and the program doesn’t start until September.
Obtaining permanent residency can be a long and complex process. In order to ensure that our class is filled with eligible candidates, we are not able to make exceptions to this rule. All applicants must have residency or Canadian citizenship by the application deadline.

I was educated in a language other than English or French. Can I take the IELTS instead of the TOEFL?
No. We only accept the TOEFL or the Academic English course offered by U of T’s School of Continuing Studies. For the minimum scores required, visit the English Proficiency Requirement section within our How to Apply page.

I am an internationally trained physical therapist/physiotherapist. Can I apply to this program?
No. Our MScPT is a direct entry to practice degree meant for applicants who have no physical therapy training. For information on obtaining a license to practice in Ontario, review the Physiotherapist Career Map created by the Ontario government. We also offer a Bridging Program, designed to provide educational opportunities for physical therapists educated outside of Canada, who already possess specified qualifications, to develop the additional knowledge, skills and clinical reasoning required to meet Canadian entry-to-practice standards.

I still have a specific question. What should I do?
You should first review our How to Apply page and our other FAQ sections. If you still need help, e-mail or call us at 416 946 8641.