W. Darlene Reid, BMR, PhD
Chair & Professor, Department of Physical Therapy
Department of Physical Therapy
160-500 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1V7
Darlene Reid obtained her Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation (PT) from the University of Manitoba in 1979 and her PhD from the University of British Columbia in 1988. Darlene was a Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at the University of British Columbia and chaired the Research Graduate Programs in Rehabilitation Sciences where she guided considerable expansion of the program. In the fall of 2014, she moved to the University of Toronto and began her tenure as Chair of the Department of Physical Therapy in January 2015.
Dr. Reid’s involvement in organizations at the national level has furthered the development and interdisciplinary collaboration of cardiopulmonary physical therapy, including: Co-Chair of the Scientific Program of the Canadian Respiratory Conference; the Canadian Physiotherapy Cardiorespiratory Society of the Lung Association; Cardiorespiratory Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association; the Canadian Thoracic Society COPD Guidelines Committee on Exercise; Canadian Thoracic Society–COPD Guidelines–National Implementation and Dissemination Committee. Dr.Reid has received recognition awards for leadership from the National Lung Association, a Killam Research Fellowship, a Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia Research Award, and a Silver Quill Award for Outstanding Knowledge Translation article in the Physiotherapy Canada journal.
Select publications. Trainees are italicized. Clinicians are preceded with an asterisk (*).
- Chen Y-W, Hunt MA, Campbell KL, Peill K, Reid WD. The effect of Tai chi on four chronic conditions - cancer, osteoarthritis, heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analyses. Br J Sports Med. 2015 Sep 17:1-12. Available from: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2015/09/04/bjsports-2014-094388.abstract.
- Reid WD, Sheel AW, Shadgan B, Garland SJ, Road JD. Recruitment and deoxygenation of sternocleidomastoid and biceps during incremental loading in stable COPD patients. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. Accepted 2015 Aug 24. In press.
- Reid D, Guenette J, Ramsook A, Nadinne I, Fregonezi G, Sales A. Respiratory muscle endurance after respiratory muscle training in athletes and non-athletes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2015 Aug 13. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1466853X15000656. In press: January 2016 17:76-86.
- Shadgan B, Med S, Pakravan AH, Hoens A, Reid WD. Subcutaneous and Intramuscular Hemodynamics and Oxygenation After Cold-Spray Application as Monitored by Near-Infrared Spectroscopy. J Athl Train. 2015 Jun 22;50(8):800-805.
- Miller RR, Reid WD, Mattman A, Yamabayashi C, Steiner T, Parker S, Gardy J, Tang P, Patrick DM. Submaximal exercise testing with near-infrared spectroscopy in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients compared to healthy controls: a case-control study. J Transl Med. 2015 May 20;13:159.
- Camp PG, Reid WD, Chung F, Kirkham A, Brooks D, Goodridge D, Marciniuk DD, Hoens AM. Clinical Decision-Making Tool for Safe and Effective Prescription of Exercise in Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Results From an Interdisciplinary Delphi Survey and Focus Groups. Phys Ther. 2015 Apr 16;95(10):1387-1396. Hardcopy published October 2015; online April 16, 2015.
- Shadgan B, Pereira G, Menon M, Jafari S, *O’Brien JP, Reid WD. Epidemiological specifications of acute compartment syndrome of leg following tibial fractures. J Orthop Traum 2014.
- Montemezzo D, Fregonezi GA, Pereira DA, Britto RR, Reid WD. Influence of inspiratory muscle weakness on inspiratory muscle training responses in chronic heart failure patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Phys Med Rehab 2014;95:1398-407 01/2014; DOI:10.1016/j.apmr.2014.02.022
- HajGhanbari B, Yamabayashi C, Garland SJ, Road RD, Reid WD. The relationship between pain and comorbid health conditions in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cardiopulm Phys Ther J 2014; 25:29-35.
- Pessoa I, Parreira VF, Fregonezi GAF, Sheel AW, *Chung F, Reid WD. Reference values of maximal inspiratory pressure: A systematic review. Can Resp J. 21(1):43-50. Jan 2014.
- Camp PG, Reid WD, Yamabayashi C, Brooks D, Goodridge D, *Chung F, Marciniuk D, Neufeld A, Hoens A. Safe and effective prescription of exercise in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: rationale and methods for an integrated knowledge translation study. Canadian Respiratory Journal 20(4):281-4. 2013
- HajGhanbari B, Garland J, Road JD, Reid WD. Pain and physical performance in people with COPD Resp Med.107(11):1692-9 Available online July 8, 2013. Access online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2013.06.010.
- Hoens A, Reid WD, Camp PG. Knowledge brokering: an innovative model for supporting evidence-informed practice (EIP) in respiratory care. Canadian Respiratory Journal 2013; 20(4):271-4
- HajGhanbari B, Yamabayashi C, Buna T, Coelho J, Freedman K, Morton T, Palmer S, Toy M, Walsh C, Sheel AW, Reid WD. Effects of respiratory muscle training on performance in athletes: a systematic review with meta-analyses. J Strength Cond Res 2013; 27(6): 1643-1663, DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e318269f73f.
- Shadgan B, Reid WD, Harris RL, Jafari S, Powers SK, *O’Brien PJ. Hemodynamic and oxidative mechanisms of tourniquet-induced muscle injury: near-infrared spectroscopy for the orthopedic setting. Journal of Biomedical Optics 17, 081408 (2012), DOI:10.1117/1.JBO.17.8.081408 PMID:23224169
- HajGhanbari B, Holsti L, Road JD, Reid WD. Pain in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Respiratory Medicine. 2012; 106:998-1005.
- Reid WD, Yamabayashi C, Goodridge D, *Chung F, Hunt M, Marciniuk DD, Brooks D, Chen Y-W, Camp P. Exercise prescription for hospitalized people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and comorbidities: a synthesis of systematic reviews. International J COPD (open access). 2012; 7:297-320
- Foster GE, Nakano J, Sheel AW, Simpson J, Road J, Reid WD. Serum Troponin I following inspiratory threshold loading in healthy young and middle-aged men. Eur J Appl Physiol DOI: 10.1007/s00421-012-2337-5; 112(10):3547-3558
- *Simms AM, Li LC, Geddes EL, Brooks D, Hoens AM, Reid WD. Impact of a behavioral-based intervention on inspiratory muscle training prescription by a multidisciplinary team. The Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions. 32(2):116–125, 2012
- Mirzaalian H, Hamarneh G, HajGhanbari B, and Reid WD. 3D Shape Analysis of the Knee Extensor and Flexor Muscles in Patients with COPD using Mesh Projection-based Features. In Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention Workshop on Mesh Processing in Medical Image Analysis (MICCAI MeshMed), pages 1-8, 2011
- Shadgan B, Guenette JA, Sheel AW, Reid WD. Sternocleidomastoid muscle oxygenation and hemodynamic response to incremental inspiratory threshold loading measured by near infrared spectroscopy. Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology 2011; 178(2):202-209. Access online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resp.2011.06.001
- Andrews S, Hamarneh G, Yazdanpanah A, HajGhanbari B, WD Reid. Probabilistic Multi-Shape Segmentation of Knee Extensor and Flexor Muscles. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), pages 651-658, Part 2011.
- Roig M, Eng JJ, MacIntyre, Road JD, Reid WD. Postural Control is impaired in People with COPD: an observational study. Physiotherapy Canada 2011; 63(4):423-431.
- *Simms AM. Li LC, Reid WD. Development of a Theory-Based Intervention to Increase Prescription of Inspiratory Muscle Training by Health Professionals in the Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Physiotherapy Canada.2011; 63(3):315-323.doi:10.3138/ptc.2010-15
- Roig M, Eng J, Road J, MacIntyre DM, Reid WD. Falls in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: an observational cohort study. Resp Med 2011;105:461-469. doi:1016/j.rmed.2010.08.0152011
- HajGhanbari B, Hamarneh G, Changizi N, Ward AD, Reid WD. 3D shape analysis of thigh muscles: People with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease versus healthy older adults. Academic Radiology Feb 2011;18(2):155-66. Access online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2010.09.008
- Roig M, MacIntyre DL, Eng JJ, Road JD, Reid WD. Deficits in muscle strength, mass, quality and mobility in people with COPD. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. 2011 Mar-Apr; 31 (2): 120-4 (journal article) ISSN: 1932-7501 PMID: 21037481
- Tomczak SE, Guenette JA, Reid WD, McKenzie DC, and. Sheel AW. Diaphragmatic fatigue following sub-maximal exercise with chest wall restriction. Med Sci Sports Exercise. March 2011;.43: 416–424.
- Roig M, Eng J, Road J, MacIntyre DM, Reid WD. The stair climb power test: Associations with muscle strength and functional performance in people with COPD. Phys Ther Dec 2010:90:1774-1782
See more publications by Darlene Reid on PubMed.
Professor Reid is a clinical scientist whose investigations have spanned basic sciences, clinical, and translational research. Research themes have focused on dysfunction of the inspiratory and limb muscles in chronic disease that involves quantification of muscle structure and function at the cellular and macroscopic level. Recent work has focused on muscle performance in chronic disease and the experience of pain in people living with COPD. Dr. Reid has also directed her current research towards using non-invasive tools that can be taken to the bedside including wireless near infrared spectroscopy, dynamometry, and inclinometry. She has forged research collaborations nationally and internationally including Europe, Japan, and Brazil. Dr. Reid supervises research trainees at the MSc, PhD and PDF level in Rehabilitation Sciences and is also interested in collaborating with visiting research scientists.
Dr. Reid is active in knowledge translation endeavours that include the development of systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines in addition to implementation strategies.
Recent and Ongoing Research
- How pain affects muscle and physical performance measures in people with COPD
- Etiology of pain in people with COPD
- Near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) performed during loaded breathing in healthy men
- Tissue deoxygenation during inspiratory threshold loading and biceps loading in people with COPD
- Near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) performed during ankle fracture repair
- Blood volume and tissue oxygenation during contrast baths
- Hemodynamics and tissue oxygenation during hand grip exercise in people with mitochondrial disease
- Reconstruction of 3D images from MRIs in order to evaluate regional thigh muscle atrophy in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Image analysis of CT images performed to evaluate thoracic spine and rib cage abnormalities that contribute to pain in people living with COPD
For more information about previous research, please see links above, contact Dr. Reid and review publications listed under the Publications tab.
Dr. Reid’s teaching has focused on cardiopulmonary physiotherapy and research design. Dr. Reid was the senior editor of the recently released second edition of the textbook Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy: Management and Case Studies that provides an interactive, learning approach that combines: clinical notes on assessment and management; twenty-four cases that show typical presentations of common pulmonary, cardiac and neuro conditions; and answer guides for questions posed in the assessment and management chapters and for the twenty-four cases.